Monday, January 18, 2010

Top 10 Movies of Last 10 Years

Several media outlets have been posting their list of the top 10 movies over the last decade. They are sticking to mainstream Hollywood films and they are representing an already widely represented demographic. It inspired me to post my own list. Based on films I've seen (films I've not seen are at the bottom of this posting), here are what I think are the top 10 films from the last 10 years. I think they are tops because something about them stuck with me over the years or made breakthroughs in storytelling or both. In chronological order:


LOTR (2001, 2002, 2003)
Lost in Translation (2003)
Sideways (2004)
Hotel Rwanda (2004)
The Passion of the Christ (2004)
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
Blood Diamond (2006)
Last King of Scotland (2006)
Atonement (2007)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)


If this was a top 20 list: Hurt Locker, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Matchpoint, Snatch, Juno, Bourne Identity, Crash, Resident Evil, The Cell, Children of Men, Count of Monte Cristo, Million Dollar Baby, Gladiator, State of Play...okay that's 21. So I'm not a math major.

Films I did not see that would have probably made the list: Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, Requiem for a Dream, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

What are YOUR top films? What did I not mention that you would have?

3 comments:

  1. Great list, Becca! But you forgot PootieTang.

    The movie that made the biggest impression on me was UP. I might even add Wall-e, just for its enviro/obesity messages.

    I was also rocked by the lesser-known doc "Call and Response" - which was the first fully nonprofit film, and dedicated to ending modern day slavery.

    Also....Amelie (2001). Adaptation would be a shoe-in. So many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! How about:
    Traffic
    The Departed
    Memento
    The Dark Knight
    Royal Tenenbaums
    No Country for Old Men
    There will be Blood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim will go out on a limb here and mention:
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    The Diving Bell & the Butterfly
    Man on Rope
    The Zero Effect
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Brazil
    Aliens (only the second one)
    Memento (again)
    And AVATAR (time will tell, but in 3D it is a cinematic milestone)
    There... any difference by gender?

    ReplyDelete